The UK government identified cyber security as a key area of focus and new investment and in 2011 announced a budget of £650 million to shore up defenses in the UK. So, after two years let’s examine where it’s been spent?
Here’s some of the good things that have resulted from the investment
- SOCA took down 36 website domains that sold credit card data – this is probably a very small tip of the iceberg.
- 15,000 fraud websites were suspended
- GCHQ announced a scheme to help companies deal with cyber attacks and give guidance on response to a compromise
- 8 universities have been given the Academic Centre for Excellence in Cyber Security and Research
- CISP, the Cyber security Information Sharing Scheme
However, there are areas that need further investment
- 60% of the budget was spent ‘detect and defend’ – We hope that ‘response’ is also a large portion of this investment although it’s not very clear Continue Reading